Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Second trimester already?!

It's hard to believe that I'm already 1/3 of the way through my pregnancy. Since I have a few minutes, I'd like to share a little bit of what has been going on since we found out we were expecting our second baby!

First off, we are thrilled beyond belief that our kids will be close in age and will surely be the best of friends. We know that being the one and only grandchild on both sides of the family, Ian is a tad bit spoiled. Before he became too rotten, we thought it'd be great for him to have a sibling! We were SOO excited when my sister Kristina announced that she was also pregnant and a few weeks later when Charles' sister, Laure, announce that she was pregnant! If you can believe it, Kristina is due June 2nd, Laure is due June 3rd and I'm due June 4th!!

Thus far we've had an ultrasound to date the pregnancy at 8 weeks-ish. We were able to see our little one's heartbeat flickering away! I also had an appointment at around 12 weeks which we were able to hear his/her heartbeat on the doppler. Our big ultrasound is scheduled for January 19th.

We were of course a little hesitant to announce to everyone till we were a ways into the pregnancy, but because I was sooo sick, we announced sooner than planned (I was about 8 weeks along). So far this pregnancy has been similar in some ways and different in many ways than my pregnancy with Ian.

With Ian, I started getting sick right at 6 weeks. I would be nauseous for much of the day, but only threw up a few times. I was feeling back to my old self at 12 weeks. With this pregnancy, I didn't get sick till just before 8 weeks. When I say sick, I mean SICK. I've thrown up almost every morning since then, if not more than once a day. Thus far I've thrown up in the obvious place, the toilet, but don't forget the kitchen sink, our bedroom garbage can, on the bathroom rug and outside in the snow. I'm now 14 weeks along and still feeling awful. I've even had to take prescription medication to help with the vomiting.

When I was pregnant with Ian, I was able to wear most of my regular pants till about 20 weeks and regular shirts till about 25 weeks. I'm still in regular shirts at this point, but I've been in maternity jeans since 10 weeks. You really do show sooner with your second!

My food aversions have been pretty much the same... BEEF. Well, not hamburgers, but steak and any kind of cut of beef. I love things that are fresh... fruits, veggies, and anything cold. Starbucks (which I used to LOVE) makes me want to gag, I hope this passes soon!

Ian obviously has no idea that he's going to have a little sibling at this point, but he does have one of my Cabbage Patch Dolls that he will give a nuk to if you ask him. Then he throws her on the floor and runs her over with his push cart. Hey, he's got some time, right?

We do have names picked out, but we'll wait to share those till we know what we're having. Most people are guessing it's a girl, as is Charles. I really feel it's another boy! Honestly, I'd love to have one of each, but I'd be clueless as to what to do with a girl and how cool would it be for Ian to have a brother so close in age?! We're blessed with whatever we're given, though.

Anyhow, we're looking foward to going on this journey all over again. We know we're in for more sleepless nights, but let's be honest, I haven't slept through the night since... what? Probably September, 2007.

No comments: